Skip to main content

How a virus may not kill you but you die anyway

You know, the pandemic affected me more than I care to admit. I’ve always been aware that I may have a problem mentally but I think the prolonged time spent indoors might have really set it off. I may be binge watching shows on my phone, doing usual chores, or answering work emails and inquiries but the feeling of dread and anxiousness never left my side and have steadily kept me company for the whole of 3 months. 

Now that I think about it though, it may have started 5 years ago when I was struggling to look for a stable job and the pressure of not being able to do so had finally opened my 25-year-old mind to the horrible reality of adulthood. Since then, I clamored for things to keep me from pondering over my failures and eventual lame death. I was only 25 and my biggest fear was dropping dead any moment, not given any chance to properly live the rest of my life before that. I also began to fear the future, of my aging parents and how I still heavily depend on them to survive. Being the eldest among siblings didn’t help either because then, I feel obligated to be responsible for the future of my younger sisters even though in reality, they will eventually face the same situation. My fears never went away after I’ve realized them. And at present, they almost have free reign on my mind and are abusingly taking advantage of the crisis situation. 

I think it’s because the virus separated me from things I’ve kept beside me to keep me sane and alive. And by that I mean the people, places, food, and activities that I love. I will not make any excuses for the way I feel even if I’m part of the privileged few and I can only request people not to expect it of me. At this point, I’ll just firmly reserve the right to feel what I feel because, well, I’m also human just like everybody else. I’ve been having trouble sleeping since quarantine started and even if I owe much of that to the excessive bing watching activity I did, I at least know that I shouldn’t be having thoughts of looking out the balcony and ‘accidentally’ going over the railings right after I finish an episode of the Big Bang Theory. I fear death like many others and I’m painfully aware of my own mortality. But it doesn’t really keep me from having the kind of thoughts like the one I’ve recounted just now. Just last night, I’ve stayed up until 7am thinking about my life and the murky future I’ll be facing in the days to come. That thought about the balcony also visited me once more and with it came the crippling fear of death. It’s confusing really (I fear death but somehow can’t stop thinking about it) and somehow, coming into terms of what I’m really going through is proving quite a struggle. 

I don’t know why but I’m taking time out my writing my paper to finally admit that I may be a potentially, mentally ill person. I’ve read from numerous accounts of people diagnosed with mental illness that it is always a good thing to start your road to recovery with an acceptance of your situation so me suddenly doing this may be a good sign. I’ve always been timid about getting professional help because I feel that I may not be suffering enough to merit one and there are a lot of people who need them more than I do. We do have an in-house paychiatrist where I work but I haven’t taken up the courage to take a visit. And with the pandemic still very much a threat to everyone, it may prove to be difficult to get an appointment. 

We’re required to go back to work on a blended skeletal and work-from-home set-up and I’m feeling both a sense of dread and excitement thinking about it. Going back out into the world will surely be a challenge for someone as confused, mentally speaking, as me. But maybe going out there can give my mind a piece of that control it’s been struggling with since 5 years ago. Of course I fear putting my life at risk by exposing myself to the virus and if somehow I prove to be asymptomatic, I can unintentionally pass it to my sister living with me or my father who has a pre-existing condition and visits us for groceries from time to time. I fear that the virus can kill me but I fear it more killing my sisters and my parents. No matter how I look at it, I can’t win at any angles. And thus, my already weakened mind is now, more than ever, struggling to stay alive. 


PS. I said I don’t know why I wrote this in the middle of writing my grad school paper but maybe that’s just it. I’ve been too preoccupied with surviving this pandemic and the thought of still worrying over my academic career on top of that is just more than my mind can bear. In short, I was just taking a little break. 

PPS. Yes, I binged watch shows instead of writing my paper because watching was one of the old fashioned ways I’ve kept doing to distract myself from horrid thoughts especially when the going gets tough. I already expect criticism for this but I’ll just to choose to shut up should anybody pointed it out. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manga Review - Honeymoon Salad by Ninomiya Hikaru

First off, a warning for adult concepts ahead. So yeah, I know I mentioned a book review for my next post but I'm a lazy ass and since I've already read the manga, I thought why not just make a review out of it. Today I'll review Ninomiya Hikaru's Honeymoon Salad published from February 29, 2000 to March 29, 2002. The manga has 5 volumes and 41 chapters and to be quite honest, you can actually read the whole of it in just one sitting. Anyway, I'm still kind of thinking if I like this manga or not but if you're into an emotional junk roll then you can probably add this to your reading list. linked image credit to owner The story basically revolves around 3 main characters: Natsukawa Minori was your average salary man. He's quite a level headed guy even if he's already angry. And like any other cliche, Minori's story started on a pretty normal day with him running late and accidentally bumping to the meek Saito Ichika, his soon to be com

Manga Review - Akatsuki no Yona by Mizuho Kusanagi

I haven't been able to do a manga review before. So this is something new although it has been done by thousands of people around the globe. Will introduce one of my recently favored mangas, Akatsuki no Yona or roughly translated to Yona of the Dawn (I never had even the slightest background on Japanese language I'm just purely depending on the translation entries from Google). picture credits to owners, linked the images used through out this post directly from source At first, I though it was a manhwa, considering the names of the characters which are kind of Korean sounding if you let it roll on your tongue. I do have background on the Korean language (took it up until level 3) but hey, I'm no expert so it's up to you to decide. Anyway, the story revolves around a princess (yes, it started off in a typical shoujo character development) named Princess Yona, the daughter of King Il of the Kouka Kingdom. She's described as a spoiled princess g

One Ok Rock 35XXXV Asia Tour in Manila - January 19, 2016

Needless to say I had the BEST night of my life! I've been a casual fan of this Japanese rock band since 2014 and I was just so thrilled to first hear the news of them doing a concert here back in September! Watching the concert made me a believer, heh! Let me share the official poster below: All rights belong to the owner of this poster Gaining my way to a ticket in the lowerbox section was a freaking story. I was literally flipping out back then because I still had my South Korea trip in October to spend my money on and almost no money left after. Aside from that, I even resigned from work in December but thankfully, my bank savings were already set so I was finally able to buy a ticket. at almost the last minute. pic taken by me :D And of course, the fateful night arrived! A sea of black people waited outside the SM Mall of Asia Arena (slapping my forehead because I didn't take any picture of it) and among them is me! I didn't think it was possible. I'm